Sunday Ramblings & Pics of Snow and Sammy

January 9th, 2011

Good morning everyone! I’m coming to you this morning from the depths of a great deal of snow. We are hopefully just coming out of a blizzard here. It has been awful. The roads are a nightmare and the side streets and alleys are impassable for the most part.

It started Friday night and just didn’t quit- total we will probably have about 2 feet but the drifts are upwards of 4 feet or more. I had some fun early Saturday morning at about 2 am when I took Sammy out. First the back door was snowed in and I had to push that open and then I couldn’t even find the steps down. They were completely snowed in and consequently I slipped on the last one – I didn’t completely fall thank God as I had Sam in my arms but I slipped enough to pull all the muscles in my back and ribcage.

So there I am at 2 am trying to shovel a path for Sam to do his business. Then again at 7, then again at about 9 am I am shoveling a path for my dog. Needless to say my shoulders and arms are aching as well. The snow is supposed to stop sometime today and then the rest of the digging out will start in the neighborhood. Thankfully we have a snow blower because without it I can’t even imagine trying to move all that snow. I have absolutely no idea at this point why I live here anymore.

I’ve got some pictures of the snow for you all coming up. Oh and Sam loves all this snow. He wasn’t too thrilled until my Dad snow blowed some paths for him but now he’s loving it. I meant to get a pic of him on his path but never got around to it. I can’t even see him when he goes around the other side of the path. lol. Anyhow he loves to run around in circles and back and forth and jump into the snowbanks or stick his head in. He’s nuts! Here’s the snow…

This is my backyard Saturday morning. I made those paths with my boots for Sammy or he never would have made it! The snow is almost to the top of our fence in some places.

These are my back stairs – the ones I slipped on. This was how much more snow came down after I had just shoveled not even an hour before. Sammy kept running back and forth in the morning trying to find them to get back in the house. lol.
This is a picture of my front yard and all the piles of snow. You can just see the footprints from the fellow who delivers the journal. I’m surprised he made it. There is a sidewalk in there somewhere!

On the reading front I have to say I’m in a reading slump. I just can’t seem to get to any serious reading lately. I finished Nocturne by Syrie James yesterday and will have a review up tomorrow. I enjoyed it well enough. I’m still pretty much working on all the same books as I was last week. I really dislike reading slumps – they are so frustrating. I feel like reading – it’s just nothing is keeping my attention.

I only have a couple of photos of Sammy to leave you with this week. He’s teething big time right now- 4 of his bottom teeth fell out and 1 top so far. He’s been moody and biting like crazy. I think he’s mad- – lol. It’s kind of funny when he’s licking – it’s almost like he’s thinking I know I had these sharp things before – where have they gone? The other teeth are already coming in though but thankfully they won’t be as sharp. Hopefully once he’s past teething, he’ll start biting less.

So how was everyone else’s weekend? Did you get any reading done or anything else for that matter? I hope you all have a great week ahead!

© 2010, Darlene of Peeking Between the Pages. All Rights Reserved. If you’re reading this on a site other than Peeking Between the Pages or Darlene’s Feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

40 Comments to “Sunday Ramblings & Pics of Snow and Sammy”

1. Kay says:

Whew! A lot of snow! Hope your back feels better. Cute pics!

2. Sandy Nawrot says:

Dar, you poor thing! Steps are a nasty business when they are icy. I fell once when I lived in IN, and cracked my tailbone that has haunted me for thirty years. Love the pictures of Sammy…he is very photogenic! Don't worry about your reading slump…it will come back with the right book!

3. Blodeuedd says:

Hihi, mum makes path for one of our cats too :) Well there are paths everywhere but she makes it on the grass too. Oh that cat is spoiled

4. Beth F says:

Look at all that snow! I'm jealous (well not of falling or shoveling), it looks so pretty.

5. GABY says:

wow, so much snow!! It's incredible, really. Where I live I'll never get snow, right now it's 25ºC because it's morning. Later it will be like 30ºC.

Sammy is beautiful!

6. naida says:

Hi Dar, wow thats alot of snow! We had some here too this week and my kids had a snow day Friday. Sammy is too cute as always. Be careful, its very slippery! lol we shovel a path for Diego too…these pets are pampered!

7. Mystica says:

Sammy is very cute though obviously a handful! I suppose like a two year old toddler.

On the reading front it is slow as I am having a backlog of work to get through.

8. Beth(bookaholicmom) says:

Sammy is so cute….maybe all that snow will wear him out, lol! That is alot of snow! It's pretty until you have to get around in it. I do love the quiet that comes with a snowstorm. The reading slump will pass. Maybe try something short and funny. That usually works for me.

9. rhapsodyinbooks says:

Wow, so much snow! When I had a little dog, we made a path for him in the snow too but he had no interest, and after surveying the scene, would go right in the doorway!

10. Lisa says:

Oh Dar – as much as I miss seeing snow I must admit I don't miss shoveling it!! I do, however enjoy your pictures! Sorry to hear about your sore body – hope you feel better soon! Sammy is a complete doll and I'll bet he keeps you on your toes! I had a reading slump that lasted for a lot of last year! lol I hope you climb out of yours soon! Stay warm!!

11. Mary says:

Wow, Dar, I hope you don't have to go anywhere! We've made a path for our dog in past years. When she was a pup my son made a racing circuit path for her – we had so much fun watching her race around that path :-) Right now we only have a dusting on the ground but that's ok, she's 12 now and not very interested in racing around, haha.

12. Susan Helene Gottfried says:

That is some snow. Take care of the muscles — Advil, and either heat or ice (whichever feels better) — and keep moving! Believe it or not, that helps.

13. christina says:

How freakin' lovely!

14. JoAnn says:

Oh, what we pet owners do for our dogs! Hope you are staying warm…

15. Esme says:

Sammy is so cute-have fun with all the snow-My dad said that Ottawa is getting snow also. I do not miss it.

16. Rebecca Rasmussen says:

That is an awful lot of snow honey — so glad you and Sammy survived the storm! Wow, that is kind of amazing. In St. Louis, we don't get very much snow at all. As for reading, I have started so many books lately, so I completely understand. Happy Sunday, honey!

17. Nise' says:

Wow, that is a lot of snow, it looks pretty from here!

18. Janel says:

Holy Snowstorm, Batman! I hope that stuff isn't heading this way. Good luck with the digging out process. Don't lose Sammy! :)

19. Amy says:

Oh my! I thought we got a lot of snow here! I love that picture of your front yard, the light is beautiful. I also love the way snow looks when it's still fresh & new.

Poor Sammy with his teeth. I hope he has his new ones soon and doesn't feel so grumpy! He is adorable, I love looking at his pictures!

Reading slumps are the worst, just hang in there….have you tried a book completely different than what you normally read?

Rest your muscles!

20. Sherri says:

WOW Dar you really did have some snow didn't you!! Sorry you fell down the steps-ouch! Sammy looks so cute in all those pictures!

21. Suzanne says:

4 Feet!! And I was complaining about 10 inches! :-) Ouch! I hope you aren't in too much pain! At least Sammy is having fun! I shoveled a path for BJ, but his Daddy snow blowed what looks to be a circuit training track! :-) It's so BJ can bark at the deer the length of the yard!

22. Nymeth says:

The snow looks absolutely gorgeous, but yep, I can imagine how it wouldn't be any fun at all to have to deal with :S

23. Yvonne says:

That's way too much snow! We had almost two feet on Christmas weekend and now we keep getting 2 inches every other day (which seems like nothing after our two feet, but it's enough to make the roads hazardous). Supposedly we are going to get another big storm on Tuesday or Wednesday.

24. Staci says:

Holy Snow Batgirl!! That is too much…why do you still live there??? LOL!! I actually finished two books yesterday but the second one was less than stellar..ugh! I hope this week brings better reading to you…I will be reading for fun later this week as I will be traveling to San Diego to see Mitchell so I will be taking his Kindle!!

25. Zibilee says:

You know, I have only seen snow once in my life, and it was nothing like the magnitude of what you have going on over there! I am sorry to hear that you injured yourself in trying to get Sammy out, and hope that you feel better soon. I also hope that this week marks the end of your reading slump and that you find something that you just can't put down! Have a great week, Dar!!

26. Alyce says:

I hope that your back and ribs are feeling better – that sounded painful!

I love watching our dog play in the snow (it just doesn't happen very often).

27. estrella05azul says:

Wow, now that's a lot of snow! So sorry you're achy… that's never fun.
    I know it's frustrating, but the snow does look good on the photos :)
    And I can imagine Sammy running around in it, sounds adorable!

Reading slumps aren't fun, I know, hope you get into it again soon.
    I've read 3 of my Christmas presents already, just starting #4 tonight :) Wonderful what a few days off work can do to my to-be-read pile.

28. softdrink says:

I can't even imagine living in a place where it snows that much. And it's amazing that people go out in it…I'd think the world would come to a standstill.

29. (Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea says:

You really got a load of snow. Looks beautiful as long as you don't have to drive in it or shovel it. We got some too this w/end but not as much as you. I am walking my SIL's dog….grrrrr (that is another reason, I prefer cats): You Sammy is a cutie though.

30. Charleydog says:

Where do you live? I live in Canada – in eastern Ontario and we have barely enough snow to cover the fields. The neighbor's horses can still uncover the grass with a few hoof movements. I note that the USA is getting a lot of snow this year. Sammy will disappear in those snow banks but the black color may save him. Hope that you won't be too sore from your tumble.

31. Melody says:

Brrr… I hope you all are staying warm!
    More pics of Sammy, yay! :)

32. Serena says:

Funny. Charlee won't even let you dig paths for him, he just jumps in and disappears…then you see his head and body pop up somewhere else as he tunnels through the snow. He definitely would have a ball in your yard.

I hope the reading slump passes soon. I feel like my reading is simply in slo mo.

33. carolsnotebook says:

I'm so glad we don't have that much snow.

Sammy's adorable as always.

34. Ti says:

Well your snow pics certainly outdid the ones I posted for So Cal last week. LOL. Now THAT's snow!

Sammy looks a little miffed in those pics. It's a good thing that we can't remember what teething felt like because I'm sure it's a pain. Pun intended.

35. bermudaonion says:

Wow, that's a lot of snow! We have snow and ice and it's a mess. Milou is 15 and this is the first year she's acted like she likes the snow.

36. Jenny Girl says:

The snow is beautiful but such a pain in the butt. Hope it melts quickly and please be careful walking outside. That goes for Sammy too. Lucky slipped on some ice last night, the poor thing. It freaked her a bit. Of course, me the mean mommy laughed at her. I gave her some cookies though so it's all good :)

37. Trish says:

all that snow!! Goodness gracious is it pretty, but I bet it's cold. We still have snow on the ground from Sunday–a first that I've seen here (usually it's melted in a few hours), and I'll be kind of sad to see it go this weekend when it warms up a bit and the rain comes.

Stay warm!

38. Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks says:

Such sweet pics of Sammy! Yes, you got a LOT of snow — I'm surprised the paper was delivered (our carrier seems to balk at just a few inches!)

39. Alice Teh says:

Loving your Sammy pics as always! I'm sorry to hear about your fall. I am glad you're OK. I had a fall at the supermarket's vegetables section. It was wet and I didn't see it and there was a small vege leaf so I stepped on the vege leaf and since it was wet, I slipped almost quite spectacularly and another lady let out a yelp. I have a blue black kneecap… Good thing I didn't sprain anything.

40. Lisa says:

It's amazing how beautiful the snow looks…when it's in someone else's yard! Actually I often think the snow in my yard is beautiful, as long as I don't have to go out in it. I'll bet Sammy is confused by it all, though!