I’ve got a great spotlight to share with you all today on Susan Mallery’s Fool’s Gold Cookbook: A Love Story Told Through 150 Recipes. This is a fabulous cookbook that shares fantastic recipes along with a sweet love story – what could be better! I’ve gone through this wonderful cookbook and it is full of delicious, easy to make recipes and the photos are amazing. I’m a little fussy that way because I love a cookbook that has photos to go along with the recipe. I love to see the finished product! Every time I look through and see all the good recipes I get so hungry and I can’t wait to try quite a few of these recipes. In the meantime I’ve got a couple of recipes that I am able to share with my readers. These are both recipes I plan on trying soon!
Coconut Popcorn Shrimp with Mango-Lime Salsa
¾ cup canola oil
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup plain seltzer or club soda
Salt and black pepper
¾ cup panko crumbs or bread crumbs
¾ cup shredded coconut
(sweetened or unsweetened)
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and
1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
1 red pepper, diced
½ jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and black pepper
1. Warm oil in a large, heavy skillet with at least 2-inch-high sides. In a bowl, whisk flour, seltzer, salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, combine panko and coconut.
2. Dredge shrimp in the flour mixture, then the panko mixture. Transfer to a wire rack to dry slightly. Fry shrimp in the oil in two batches, about 2 minutes per side, until cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
1. While the shrimp cooks, make the salsa. In a medium serving bowl, toss mango, red and jalapeño peppers, scallions, oil, lime juice and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with shrimp.
Tip: Panko crumbs make for a crisper crust. Find them in the Asian food section of your supermarket.
Check out the video for this recipe!
And because I love, love, love cupcakes…
Coconut Vanilla Snowball Cupcakes
2½ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted
butter, at room temperature
1½ cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon pure coconut extract
¾ cup sour cream
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter,
at room temperature
2–2½cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons sour cream
Sweetened flaked coconut, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 standard 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt until combined.
3. In a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and coconut extracts; beat until blended. Reduce mixer speed to low, and alternately add dry ingredients and sour cream, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Remove from mixer; fold in coconut.
4. Drop batter into cupcake liners, filling each just over halfway full. Bake 18–20 minutes, until golden and set. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. For frosting: In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter until smooth. Add powdered
sugar, vanilla and salt; beat until blended and fluffy. Add sour cream; beat just until blended. Fold in additional powdered sugar, if needed.
6. Spread the frosting on cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle a generous amount of coconut over cupcakes.
TIP: Eggs blend into cake batter best if they’re at room temperature.
ABOUT FOOL’S GOLD COOKBOOK (From Amazon.com)
New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery invites you to taste the local cuisine of her beloved fictional town and share in a year’s worth of deliciously seasonal recipes.
Fool’s Gold is known as the Land of Happy Endings, but it’s also the land of hearty appetites. Throughout the series, the residents of Fool’s Gold have found joy, comfort and good times through food. Now two local Fool’s Gold chefs will also find love through food! Join them as they flirt, fight and fall in love, one season at a time.
You’ll also find favorite recipes from popular characters in the series, such as:
Heidi’s Arugula, Corn and Cherry Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese.
Liz’s Spaghetti for the Girls.
Denise’s Summer Berry Pie.
With chapters for summer, spring, fall and winter, you can find the perfect recipe for everything from holiday get-togethers to cozy date nights, always using the freshest ingredients. And the heartwarming love story that is woven throughout is Susan Mallery at her finest.
The more than 150 recipes and dozens of gorgeous photographs in this book will inspire you to find perfection in the simple and the seasonal. And with all of Fool’s Gold with you in the kitchen, your every celebration will have a happy ending!
ABOUT SUSAN MALLERY
With more than 25 million books sold worldwide, New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery is known for creating characters who feel as real as the folks next door, and for putting them into emotional, often funny situations readers recognize from their own lives. Susan’s books have made Booklist’s Top 10 Romances list in four out of five consecutive years. RT Book Reviews says, “When it comes to heartfelt contemporary romance, Mallery is in a class by herself.” Susan grew up in southern California and currently lives in Seattle with her husband and the most delightfully spoiled little dog who ever lived.
GIVEAWAY DETAILS (US/Canada)
I have 2 copies of Fool’s Gold Cookbook by Susan Mallery to share with my readers. To enter…
- For 1 entry leave a comment entering the giveaway.
- Tweet, share on Facebook, or blog for 2 extra entries.
This giveaway is open to US and Canadian residents (no PO boxes) and I will draw for the winners on September 14/13. Good luck!
Source: Giveaway copies courtesy of the publisher.Book Spotlights | Comments (47)